Elon Musk is likely one of the most famous inventors of this age. Regarded as a futurist, Musk has won several awards for being a top entrepreneur and innovator since his teenage years.
Who Is Elon Musk?
Musk is a South African-born American entrepreneur, most notably known for being a cofounder of PayPal, the creator of SpaceX, and one of the most significant investors and current chief executive officer (CEO) of Tesla.
Musk is the son of a South African father and a Canadian mother. At 12, he created the video game “Blastar,” which he sold to computer magazine PC and Office Technology. He left South Africa in 1998 because he did not want to fulfill the compulsory military service and sought more significant economic opportunities in the U.S.
Musk studied at Queen’s University in Canada before transferring to the University of Pennsylvania in 1992. He obtained bachelor’s degrees in physics and economics in 1997. He initially planned to take up graduate studies and enrolled at Stanford University but left shortly. Instead, he focused on learning more about technology from the Internet.
What Are Some of the Companies That Elon Musk Found?
Musk founded several companies over the years. He started by creating Zip2 in 1995, which Compaq bought in 1999 for US$307 million. After that, he founded X.com, now known as “PayPal.” eBay bought PayPal for US$1.5 billion in 2002.
Musk believed that humanity’s survival lies in our ability to live on other planets. And so in 2002, he founded Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX). SpaceX launched its first rocket, Falcon 1, in 2006. That was followed by Falcon 9 (2010) and Falcon Heavy (2018). The company also produced Dragon, which carries supplies to the International Space Station (ISS) for a lower price than competitors. And from 2012 onward, SpaceX’s Grasshopper has been taking short spaceflights as part of its testing.
In 2004, Musk invested a significant amount in Tesla, which introduced its first electric car, the Roadster, in 2006. In 2012, the company launched Model S, followed by Model X in 2015. Model 3 went into production in 2017.
What Are Some of the Notable Elon Musk Inventions?
Musk is credited for some of today’s most significant technological innovations but only owns/co-owns five patents to date. These have to do with:
- Autonomous and user-controlled vehicle summon to a target: This patent is for a processor configured to receive a target geographical location remotely specified by a user to call a vehicle. It uses a machine learning (ML) model to generate an environment’s representation, allowing the vehicle to use sensor data to self-drive.
- Bidirectional facsimile mechanism using the Internet: This invention provides a system for sending and receiving faxes. It lets a sender transmit a fax with a recipient identification code to a server. The server stores the fax in a web page associated with a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) address. It then determines the recipient’s electronic communications location using the identification code and sends the fax URL address. The recipient can then retrieve the fax using a web browser.
- System and method for initiating a telephone call utilizing Internet initiation (Zip2): This patent is for a system and method that uniquely combines aspects of the Internet and Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) for calling an entity using a monitor. The user gives an input to the computer to start a call. A website that displays the call receives the request data and relays it over the Internet to a call center. The call center establishes the desired phone connection over PSTN.
- Interactive network directory service with integrated maps and directions (Zip2): This invention provides a network-accessible service that integrates a business directory and a map database. A user can scan the business directory and the map database to quantify the search. That provides directions from a specified location to a selected search result through a website.
- Method and apparatus for an accelerated radius search (MyWay.com Corporation): This patent is for a method and an apparatus for performing an accelerated radius search. A search category that corresponds to a geographic area is built. A first search radius is then generated based on the category. The first search radius is used to perform the first search. If the first search returns an insufficient number of results, a second search radius is generated using heuristics to increase the first search radius. The second search radius is used to perform a second search. The search is repeated until the desired results set is returned.
Musk has been dubbed a lot of things, including the next Steve Jobs. And while he’s got tons of both supporters and detractors, he has not shown any signs of slowing down when it comes to dreaming about the future.