A software engineer is a licensed professional who designs, develops, and runs coded programs to carry out computing functions. He or she makes computer programs and applications run and work.
Think about how your computer runs using its operating system (OS). Each OS comes with additional software that each user can download to make other features work. Some of these applications include Netflix, Instagram, and TikTok. While these are not necessary for making a computer function, they can enhance a user’s digital experience. Guess who makes them? Software engineers do.
Read More about a “Software Engineer”
A software engineer employs his or her knowledge of both engineering principles and programming to develop computer games and other network control systems. With the growing use of smart devices, the need for software engineers can only be expected to increase. If you want to launch a career in software engineering, here are some things you should know.
What Do Software Engineers Do?
Being a software engineer is a highly technical job.
Software engineers ensure that each software they develop meets not only a client’s needs but also industry standards. Their work often involves collaborating with different professionals, including web developers, graphic designers, and database administrators. Their day-to-day activities usually include:
- Identifying users’ and clients’ needs and convert these to achievable goals
- Designing applications and monitoring their functionality throughout their entire lifecycle
- Providing programmers with detailed directions when coding software
- Doing a feasibility study of software operations via evaluation analysis and solution development
- Presenting software via diagrams, flowcharts, or blueprints to show its viability
- Creating and installing software following system standards and best practices
- Protecting software and user details by implementing security measures
- Completing systems analysis to determine flaws and issues
- Recommending changes in coding to address issues
- Updating software to match recent computer hardware upgrades
- Managing licensing software from vendors
- Testing software and approving products to fix technical glitches
How Can One Become a Software Engineer?
In the U.S., it is against the law for anyone to call himself or herself an engineer if he or she does not have a professional license from any state licensing board. As such, software engineers must have a bachelor’s degree in software engineering or IT. He or she must also have an engineering license and be fluent in a slew of computer languages, including but not limited to .NET, C++, Java, and Python.
As a software engineer, one must also be familiar with all OSs, cloud applications, networks, software, and virtualization. According to LinkedIn, software engineers would also find it worthwhile to develop skills in Flutter, NUXT.JS, Android, and angular material.
What Jobs Can Software Engineers Go for and How Much Can They Earn?
One of the beauties of having a degree in software engineering is the abundance of jobs that one can take on. Software engineers can choose from the following:
- Embedded software engineers: Software engineers can choose to specialize in some software and become embedded software engineers who can earn an average of US$81,700 annually.
- Software architects: A software engineer can successfully rake in as much as US$116,130 each year by becoming a software architect.
- Chief technology officer (CTO): Senior software engineers can also take on managerial roles and become one of the highest-paid workers in the U.S. today with a median earning of US$228,200 yearly.
- Information systems (IS) manager: Becoming an IS manager can help a software engineer make as much as US$123,000 annually.
- Cybersecurity managers: Since software engineers also ensure user security, they can also become cybersecurity managers and earn an average annual salary of US$129,000.
Software engineers topped the most in-demand tech jobs in the U.S. in 2019, according to Glassdoor. If you want to have a lucrative tech career, becoming a software engineer is an excellent choice.